Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Invader Zim

When I first watched Invader Zim, several years ago, I instantly fell in love with the cartoon. Especially the quirky robot GIR. On a sci-fi convention I bought some GIR patches, never daring to use them on anything I still have them left. I use this one as a wall decoration instead, hanging from a line in the bedroom wall with a clothespin.

A cloth patch I bough on a sci-fi convention.


The first Invader Zim crafts I made was an acrylic painting of MiMi. MiMi is the robot of one of Zim's nemesis named Tak. Compared to GIR's patchy and to be honest rather crappy dog disguise MiMi uses a sleek, dark and creepy cat disguise. To make here even more spookier she swirls around almost into a shadow when moving, in contrast to GIR's clumsy and awkward movement. And of course one can not be an evil robot whit out red glowing eyes. So this I my take on MiMi, hope you like it!

MiMi from Invader Zim. Panted in acrylic paint on canvas by me.

My next craft I made was the lovable floating mini-moose. Though he only appear in one Christmas special episode, I could not help myself and just had to make him! I decided to not make his mouth since I did not like how it looked on him when he was finished. The one teeth he usually have sticking out I do miss but this was the best compromise I could make. He is made with acrylic yarn and the design is made by me. Though I have not written a pattern of it. When I crochet I usually just scribble down a few notes for myself. Mostly I use drawings to describe my idea.

The mini-moose I crocheted. Posing on the sofa for the camera.

Of course I had to make a mini hama bead GIR. He is currently attached to my monitor along with my Yoshi mini hama bead. I based the him of a pattern I found online. Unfortunately I don´t remember the source since it was a long time since I made it.

A mini hama bead version of GIR. 



I made another painting combining what might be the two cutest characters in the show. That is if you can call piggy, the pink rubber pig toy, a character. I made the painting in a much brighter background than the MiMi painting to make it more joyful. Also really love the whimsical feel the painting have so I am very pleased with the result of the painting thought more with the background I think!

GIR and Piggy from Invader Zim. Panted in acrylic paint on canvas by me.

The next project, if I ever get around to make it, will be to crochet GIR in his robot form. I do think I have the yarn for it at home just need to find time, will and energy for it. Perhaps it's time to re-watch all the episodes. That could give me the motivation boost that I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment